Wednesday, July 29, 2009

CAMPING PART 1

MONDAY, JULY27, 2009 I have been away from my computer for several days. Friday I drove the van with a load of camping gear to Mirror Lake. I found that campsite number 5 was still available. It had a water tap “right there” the toilet close by and there was room for Chris’ tent trailer and several tents. The attendant said it was ok if I put my stuff out of the van and go let Chris know where I was. That way it would be obvious that the site was occupied. Chris was running an hour or so behind me. I waited near the entrance to Washington Lake, the first place he would come to of the places he suggested I try, but after a while I got bored and drove into Kamas and called him. He was approaching Kamas himself so we met at the supermarket to fuel up and get last minute supplies. After setting up camp we got in Chris’ Jeep and he showed me some beautiful backcountry around Whitney Reservoir. He and I were the only ones in the trailer that night. The next day we went on another long drive. We went back down the canyon to the Soapstone road and went south on it to the Wolf Creek Pass road, went west on it to Francis then back into Kamas and back to the store and gas station. While we were in the store I called Corey. He was approaching Kamas so we all met there and did some more shopping. The next day Judy, Jim and Greg & Niki and Alexa and Gavin came up and we all had a good time. On the funny side; Jim and Corey and Jayden were out in Chris’ canoe fishing. Corey thought Jayden should have been facing the other direction and told him to turn around. When he did, it made the canoe capsize. It turned completely upside down. The water wasn’t too deep at that point but Corey and Jayden were completely soaked. Jim was wet from the waist down. Chris and Niki were on the shore watching and Niki got some good pictures of the whole affair. She said she was laughing so hard she nearly peed her pants. Chris was laughing so hard he was snorting and chocking. Jayden was in hog heaven from all the attention and as they came walking back into the campsite he was beaming from ear to ear and couldn’t stop talking about it. He claimed he “did it on purpose!” Among other things I walked all the way around the lake which took about forty-five minutes. Chris’ girlfriend Lynn and her two boys Wyatt and Cade flew in at around midnight last night. He picked them up at the airport and they went from there to the campsite.

No comments: